Mineral water museum
( Szejke Spa )
– May 1 to September 30 –
The healing properties of the mineral waters at Szejke Spa – according to the remaining sources – were recognized as early as the XVIII. Century. István Kibédi Mátyus mentioned the following in his book entitled “Old and new dietetics”: “… the grayish, smelly water of the spring close to the town heals wounds and skin rashes”. In the second half of the century, between 1871-1890, the spa and its area belonged to Balázs Orbán, which was a dear place of residence for him. It was him, who lifted the bath from the rank of a simple “peasant bath” to a popular spa. Its center was the hot bath with 24 tubs using the water of the Attila-spring and the cold water pool connected to it. The water of the Sarolta (Charlotte) spring, just North from the hot bath, was used as drinking water. Villas, or as locals called them, lodges were built at the bath. The visitors of the spa and the tourists from the town could dine and celebrate listening to gipsy music in the Mózes Székely restaurant which could accommodate 100 people, but the death of Balázs Orbán has put an end to the spa’s progression.
On the northern part of the spa, a 268 m2 wooden building was constructed between 2004-2008 with the aim to host the Mineral Water Museum of Szeklerland.
The exposition, the result of a decade’s work, is open to visitors since the 21st of May, 2008. The visitors can marvel at the Szejke-water jugs and the water transporting buffalo-wagon, which have become symbols of the town. The geologist János Bányai was the prominent researcher of the mineral waters of Szeklerland, he discovered and charted nearly 2500 springs. Only a fraction of his collection of minerals and rocks are displayed here along with the portraits of contemporary scientists that were once decorating the walls of his study room.
The statue created by Hunyadi László, the engravings and photos published in the Székelyföld Leírása (Description of Szeklerland) between 1868-1873 showing the spa’s baths remind the visitors of the invaluable merits of Balázs Orbán.
Before the 1940-s todays Ugron Gábor Street was the main road to the town from the west of the Szejke Bath. In 1942, this new road was completed, which was crossed by the Ugron mansion, cut off a piece of it. There are still some very old, centuries-old trees in the courtyard of the mansion.
Less than a hundred meters from these, near the tomb of the Soviet soldiers of World War II is the oldest still living tree known from Odorheiu Secuiesc, which still drives and grows today. Kannásné's tree was about 100-150 meters above. According to György Vofkori, local historian, it was named Kannásné's tree because the women who came to the market from the villages from around, laid their milk cans and rested in the shade of the tree. It is also assumed that Kannás was an extremely fat person who was living in Szombatfalva near the tree.
The experts estimated that the oak tree, known as the oldest tree in Odorheiu Secuiesc, lived about 300-400 years, and has not been alive and had no fresh shoots since decades.
Finally, letting the laws of nature prevail the rotting tree fell. Even after it’s extinct, with the imposing size the tree was placed in the yard of the Mineralwater Museum after an consistency protective intervention. It also proclaims the supremacy of nature, drawing attention to the importance of nature conservation.
Opening hours at the Szejke Mineral Water Museum:
Tuesday–Friday: between 10:00 and 18:00pm
Saturday–Sunday: between 10:00 and 14:00