Mementoes from the 125 Years of History of the Line Vânători–Odorheiu Secuiesc and of Odorhei Railway Station
( Odorheiu Secuiesc, Railway station )
March 15 2013
One of the most important technological discoveries of the 19th century was the steam engine. The inclusion of Odorhei County and of the city Odorheiu Secuiesc into the railway network of the Carpathian Basin was discussed for the first time in 1848, in the plans of Count István Széchenyi. After many decades, in 1885, local deputies Gábor Daniel jr. and Gábor Ugron planned the construction of the line Vânători – Odorheiu Secuiesc – Izvoru Mureșului – Sândominic – Miercurea-Ciuc – Ghimeș Pass. However, on the 15th of December 1886, the minister of transports of the time, Gábor Baross gave the authorization only for the construction of the line Vânători – Odorheiu Secuiesc. That is how on the 23rd of January 1887 it was founded the Vânători – Odorheiu Secuiesc Public Company of Local Interest.
The opening festivity took place on the 15th of March 1888. Concerning the railway traffic, the line was given under the coordination of the department from Sighișoara of the Hungarian Rail (MÁV). In 1932 the Romanian state expropriated the line for the sum of 411 000 Swiss francs. Due to the new Romanian–Hungarian frontier of 1940, between 1940 and 1944 the rail traffic was opened only from Odorheiu Secuiesc to Cristuru Secuiesc.
Regarding the development and expanding of the line towards Gheorgheni or Miercurea-Ciuc, there have been many plans starting with 1888, but the wars, the political changes and the lack of funds had not let it happen.